In 1854, William James Early Bennett, the Vicar of Frome Selwood bought some properties on the West side of the old Grammar School site and replaced the old school with a new Infant School. The properties were small and shared a water supply in their courtyard. The spring and cistern can still be seen in a chamber under the lower level of the existing building.
The Grammar school building which had been on the site was the one erected in 1744 as a replacement for an earlier building which had depended on the pre-1744 vicarage to support its walls. The original Frome Grammar School was founded in the time of Edward VI. A Charity Commission report in the 1830's shows that its administration had been poor - the books were gone from the Library as were the globes.